First Christian Church of Denton was founded only 11 years after the city of Denton was established. We have been a part of the community for over 140 years, ministering to the needy, preaching the Gospel, and helping Denton grow.
We are a member of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
- Our facility was built in 1959 and designed by the late O’Neil Ford, a distinguished Texas architect. It is unique in its form of construction and in its symbolism.
- In 1968, the church congregation observed its 100th anniversary
- 1984 marked the 25th anniversary of the present building was another cause for celebration.
- 1990 - A Reuter pipe organ was added to the sanctuary in 1990, replacing the 31-year old Hammond organ.
- May 30, 1993 - the congregation celebrated it’s 125th anniversary, and like other anniversaries in this church’s long history, it was a brief pause for remembering past accomplishments and those responsible for them, and a time to renew the spirit for the work ahead.
- In September of 1998, ground was broken for a new addition to the church building, adding much needed restrooms, classrooms, a gathering area, new library, new prayer chapel, a music suite, a new office suite, and a new parking lot. Fellowship Hall also was remodeled, as was the old office area, which was converted into a new youth wing.
- The new addition was dedicated in March 2000. All of the new construction was carefully designed and constructed to match the architecture and spirit of the original O’Neil Ford design.
- The debt for the new construction was paid off in June 2001 with another note burning on January 6, 2002.
In recent years, members have worked to maintain the church and its grounds, and to update facilities and equipment. The heating and cooling system is now computer-controlled to reduce utility costs and provide more efficient operation. The sanctuary roof was completely refurbished in 2010.
Especially important is what is happening within the congregation. The music program, known for its exceptional quality and diversity, continues to enrich the worship service and special programs. A new ministry, known as EnVision is reimagining how we reach out to the community to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
The history of First Christian Church of Denton is a story of love and dedication of people, individuals, and families who make up this very special place of worship, fellowship, and service.
For more about the history of FCC Denton you can click here to view two old histories of the church that were found in some of our historical records.